Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Are you a Can't-Miss Student?

Hello Students!

Hopefully after reading a few of my posts, you have begun to think about your college options.  The wheels in your heads are hopefully turning and have you dreaming about your future!


So you have the SAT/ACT scores, and you have GPA you need to get into the schools you want, that's great!  So now what?  What more can you do?

The goal of this blog is to help you learn how to make yourself into a Can't-Miss Student that colleges would love to have on their campus!  Here's what you need to know:



What do I mean by Can't-Miss?

I mean you market yourself as a great all-around student.  The best way to do this is to get involved with your school!  Trust me, THIS WORKS!

I did not have the greatest GPA in high school; I was pretty unfocused and unmotivated so I did the bare minimum to get by.  My saving grace, at least what I believe to be my saving grace, was my involvement with my high school.

I played high school basketball, I was involved with student government and leadership, and I even had a few stints with the drama department.  My plan was not to use these activities as a way to market myself, but it definitely helped when filling out my college application!

But Why?  Why do extra-curricular activities make me a Can't-Miss Student?

Most colleges and universities would love to have students that are active and contribute to a positive social environment.

Most colleges want their students to be as enthused about their school as these kids here at Duke University.

The more involved you are in high school can indicate how active you will be in college, whether it be in fraternities or sororities, athletics, clubs, or just working hard as a diligent student.

Having a fair amount of extra-curricular activities can make the difference between you and another student who may have similar GPA, SAT/ACT scores, and class rank.

This being said, I cannot speak as to which activities will be the most appealing to colleges.  Again, it all comes down to how you market yourself!  Explain to these schools what theater, sports, or band has taught you about responsibility and hard work.  

Market yourself!    

It may seem like a lot, balancing school work with all of the extra activities, but think about what that shows the colleges you will be applying to!  Look how well you balanced all of these activities!  It makes you a student that is well rounded, a student that is Can't-Miss!

Hopefully this made sense to you.  It did not make the greatest sense to me when I was in high school, but looking back, it was one of the better decisions I made.  Being involved not only helped my chances of getting into school, it helped me grow as a person and taught me important and necessary values (this is how you market yourself!).  

Have a good one Students!





No comments:

Post a Comment