Sunday, January 27, 2013

Don't Know What You Want To Major In? No Problem!


That is right!  It is ok to not have an exact plan of action!  Having an idea does help, but if you are completely clueless (like I was) do not worry.  You are one of MANY students who are in the same boat.

Deciding on a major was terrifying.  It felt that the decision I was making at 18 would decide and seal my fate.  I had many questions and doubts -mostly doubts- in picking my major.  What if it is the wrong one?  What if I'm not good at it?  What if I can't find work?  These are all great questions to have, and hopefully you can find the answers here.

A big factor in why I did not go to college right after high school was my lack of direction.  I was too intimidated by my future to decide then, at 18, what I wanted to do with the rest of my life.  I had casual interests, I was an avid reader and loved sports, but I did not see how I can turn that into a career.



If this sounds like you, let me tell you this now:

IT IS OK TO NOT KNOW!!!

These are the necessities for the student who does not know what they want:

1.  Get into a program
  • Easier said than done, and I will discuss applying to colleges in a future blog.  For now, get into a program, whether it be a four-year university, junior college, online courses, or a trade school, get out there!  You can figure out what your PASSION is later.


2.  Look into the "Undeclared", or "Exploratory" Major
  • For those of you who do not recognize these terms, they are used to refer to a student who has not declared a major.  Students can enter into college without having their major declared.  Colleges will work with you in placing you into a variety of classes that will test your interests.  This will allow you to figure out what it is that makes you tick intellectually.  If you are taking the junior college route, the same opportunity is there for you as well.  You will fulfill all of your General Education requirements, while also exploring a variety of classes that will allow you to explore them and yourself within the class!  


3.  Take a variety of classes
  • Taking as many General Education classes initially is what is best for students who do not know what they want for their major.  I was a Theater major at the beginning of my collegiate career.  I have changed my path twice, and have found what it is that keeps me going.  The idea is to play around with the classes you are taking as General Education requirements.  You can meet your graduation requirements, while testing a variety of classes out, and finding your niche along the way!


4.  Be Open to new possibilities
  • I am very certain I was going to end up as an English Major one way or another, it is in me.  The realization of what you want to do may not come to you as easily, but do not be afraid to take classes you do not think you would normally take.  I took a Philosophy of Religion class once, and I do not know why.  I am not particularly interested in religion, or philosophy for that matter, but the class helped me to realize what I wanted (or in this case, did not want).  I developed new tools from this class have helped me in the classes I have taken after.  Each new class provides you with new opportunities to learn and develop skills that will come in handy.


5.  Do not be afraid of the "What Do I Do With This Major" Major
  • I get this question all the time from non-English majors:  "What do you do with a degree with English, besides teach English?"  The answer is not write books.  I have found that the importance of my degree and major is not memorizing book titles, authors, and publication dates.  Why this particular degree is so valuable is the skills you develop while earning the degree.  The same can be said for any other degree colleges offer.  Though there is no specialization and training that leads to pretty obvious career paths (i.e. engineers, physicist, pretty much any scientific career), the degree you choose will come with the training in communication, writing, reading, analyzing, and comprehension.  These are valuable skills that will help you excel in other job opportunities beyond the "training" you get from your degree.


6.  Lastly, HAVE FUN AND FIND YOURSELF
  • I know this is a lame line that is over-used a lot, but honestly that is what college is about.  I have grown so much as a person, and professionally I am taking the steps to have a career in a field I am passionate about (from now own, I will be known as Mr. Ramirez).  You take your General Education classes, you enjoy some, you dislike others, and it is all ok.  That class you liked, take another one that is similar, or maybe take another class with that professor.  See if that is what keeps you going, like I found with my major.

1 comment: