Monday, March 18, 2013

For the love of Education: See Your Guidance Counselor!

Hello Students!

This may seem like an obvious thing to do, going and talking with your high school guidance counselor.  Looking back on my own experience, I really wish I would have done this when I was in high school.

I figured, since I did not plan or know anything about college, I would not need to visit my guidance counselor.  Well this thought was wrong!



I have mentioned this before, but I will say it again, when I was in high school I never thought about college.  I was a decent student with no special grades or accolades.  I did not have an idea as to what I was going to do after high school, but most certainly college was not what I was going to do.

Well I ended up in college, but the road there was bumpy.  I waited a few years after graduating high school before I went, and I did not have any idea what college was like, what to expect, how to apply for financial aid, or even consider housing situations and majors.

This is what I believe a guidance counselor can do for you, help you get ready and prepare for your college experience.  Guidance counselors serves a transitional aid between high school and college.  They are trained in how colleges accept applications and students.  They know, for the most part, the ins-and-outs of the process of applying for school, and getting you students ready.

What I did not know about guidance counselors, and what I wish I took advantage of, is they can help you students if you really have no idea what you want to do.  They are not at your school only for the students who know what college they want to go to.  They are there to make you students aware of your possibilities.  If you are someone like I was, who thought college was out of reach before researching your options, your guidance counselor can help bring some light on your possibilities.

I do not regret where I am, or that I took two years off of high school before returning back to college.  I believe that experience was more beneficial to me than detrimental to my education.  However, I do wish I would have seen my guidance counselor because I could have used help when it came to the FAFSA and other aspects of college I did not even think about.

All in all students, please go see your guidance counselor!  It may be intimidating, especially if you do not have a plan of action for post-high school yet, but your guidance counselor can, well, "guide" you to the write resources to help you think about your options!  Trust me, if I can do it, you can too!

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome, Chris! My counselor was super helpful for me when I was trying to figure out both what I wanted to do and where I wanted to go. She was always able to answer my questions and she even wrote a letter of rec for me! :)

    ReplyDelete