Monday, April 1, 2013

What Classes You Should Take in High School

Hey Students!

So last week I was talking with my cousin, who is thirteen, about high school.  She will be starting high school this fall, and we were discussing which class she should take, Auto-Tech or Spanish.

My Cousin wanted to take Auto-Tech, because her friends were also taking it.  I thought that was not a good reason and tried pushing her to take Spanish.  We talked at length about which was better and why, and I finally convinced her to take the Spanish class.

Why, you may ask, is this important to you?  I think this is a common question among all high school students when it comes to preparing for college:  which classes put you in the best position to be accepted into, and ready for, college?

In all honesty, I do not know which classes can do that for you.  I was not taking the classes I was taking in order to get ready for college.  I was taking the classes I was TOLD to take in order to graduate high school.

Why I convinced my cousin to take Spanish was based on my specific college experience.  I needed to take Spanish in college, and the more experience I have with it from high school the better.  I cannot speak to all colleges and what they require, but I can make a few suggestions.

First off, however, I found this interesting blog from a former middle school Guidance Counselor named Allison Chisolm.  She compiled a seven-item checklist that she would have her students review before making classes.  The site, Anna Ivey Consulting, is linked here and discusses other college opportunities.



No comments:

Post a Comment